Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mmmm MANIPULATE!

I spent a good fifteen minutes looking at Photoshop gone bad pictures like this one, and laughed at almost all of them. Obvious enough that this girl's torso was manipulated to the extent that if she didn't have that thing to lean on she's gonna be a permanent walking 40 degree angle. It also makes me wonder which part of this model is the real, natural her. If people are gonna be photoshopped anyways, then they could drag anybody from the sidewalk to a studio, have a photoshoot and just manipulate how they actually look into how they wanted them to look. Anybody could be a supermodel nowadays I guess. Think about it; trucker named "Joe" as your day job and be THE FACE OF RALPH LAUREN AS A SIDE JOB! It bothers me that companies are constantly manipulating images, this is why our society had a twisted perception of beauty. The people they look up to in pictures who are "beautiful" don't even look like the person in the picture themselves.
I'm glad that stars have taken up to the no-makeup and photo manipulation trend(although it helps that they're already naturally beautiful. Peter Lindbergh's photoshoot of the supermodels show that you could be confident and beautiful in your own skin without caking your face up with makeup. I think now that we aren't as naive and we are actually aware of the use of photo manipulation in magazines, ads, and even some videos then maybe we could stick with accepting people as they are with no photoshopping involved. It only adds proof to the saying "Nobody's perfect" and "Everyones beautiful in their own way."
Having normal people who don't always fit into our stereotype of what a "supermodel" would look like means that we are getting through the phase of limiting our perception of beautiful as a person that could fit into a size two, now beauty comes in all shapes and sizes! Now, when I see spreads of people who aren't glammed up, I feel proud that society is expanding and opening up to the variety of people who deserve to be on the cover of fashion magazines and walk catwalks. YEAH YOU GO SIZE 16 MODELS, YOU WORK THAT CATWALK!

1 comment:

  1. While I agree that these things are crazy. I don't think photoshop and make-up should be thrown out the window. Make-up and other
    thing enable people to continue to work as models into there ages. I agree that a varity of people should be on magazines and cat walks, but the fact is clothes are already being made too big. I for one can not find anything that fit me, everything is so big.

    ReplyDelete