Thursday, November 19, 2009

stalk me.

The first thing that came into my head when i tried Google Street View wasn't "OMG I am appauled by this violation of privacy and what if i get stalked and kidnapped?! :O" though it did come to mind, but then I thought "What are the chances of that?". Personally, I think that this technology would be more useful for safety than to risk our privacy. Think about how helpful it would be to the police. I mean, sure everyone can easily see your neighbourhood, but SO WHAT? They could also do that when they drive down, might as well save gas right? We're going green! ;) Plus, the license plates and faces were blurred. Chances are, people would have the same car as you and no one would say "Hey, yea thats her/her car so thats where she is right now", that would be a stupid criminal move. I mean really, REALLY? If by some little coincidence I am in one of these street view photographs, I think it's safer than the picture of me up on the internet right now that doesnt have my face blurred. Makes you think who's really putting your privacy at risk, google or yourself, family, or friends. Kudos to google for inventing this and improving their mapping, this would be really helpful.

7 comments:

  1. That is so true. Kudos to Google! And their improved and helpful map. I don't see what the fuss is about. Anyone can take a picture of you when you're out and about right? So why is it such a problem when Google does it? At least they blur your faces. If anything puts our privacy at risk, I would have to say, blame that on Facebook. People can take the, not so greatest picture of you doing who knows what, but they post it up anyways. They don't even have the decency to blur your face, instead, THEY TAG YOU! So I don't get this hype over privacy concerns. It's not even a problem. People are way to paranoid these days, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is completely true. It is a one in a million chance for you to find yourself on google street view! I mean, it's not like you stand in front of your house 24/7 and if you are photographed, not only is your face blurred but it would take weeks to find yourself seeing as you've been to several places across Toronto and there always is the chance you were in a building and weren't photographed. Good job Google.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree when you say that this can be used for safety. Yeah, this could be a great way to go green, without wasting gas driving around trying to find the right house. You could just Google Map that and know where you're going! Google has even blurred out faces AND licensed plates so that it's not really invading our privacy because when we're in public, they're seeing our face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 100% agreement to what you just said. i mean like why is everyone being so paranoid about this whole thing like come on get over it. No really is going to stalk you if your on one of those google street views, and how you said about who is really giving out your privacy, yourself or google, that was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in totally agree with your response. If you think of it, it's true that this is mainly based more on safety than that of actually being stalked. That's just wrong and weird. Like there's nothing really to worry, because your face and license plates are blurred out which is an example of privacy put on Google Street View. I agree how it can also be a great way to navigate through areas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree really, if someone were to stalk you isn't the best way to follow you home? People really need to calm down because it's not showing anything private like the inside of your house. I can already see the front of people's houses by walking by so should i chase all those people who are walking around on the street accusing them of wanting to stalk me? Plus about the blurring of faces of license plates it's not like my face is a secret. do walk on the street with it uncovered so why would it be an issue now?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree. If i were to stalk someone, google maps wouldnt be my first resource. My first resource would be facebook. Not only does it show pictures, videos and information about a person, you can easily fake an identity to find more information. On google maps, faces are blurred and lisense plates are covered. Google maps is a great way soure of directions as well. Instead of driving down a street, trying to guess which house is which, all you need to do it plug in the information and you instantly get the location, and the real view of the destination you're looking for. I feel that facebook is more of a privacy violater rather than google maps.

    ReplyDelete